Tuesday, October 4, 2011

No turkey for Thanksgiving

Its the beginning of October and I know what I am having for Thanksgiving! Not turkey. while most people were thinking about there last trips to the beach and the joys of summer were coming to a close I was thinking about Thanksgiving. Why? Because it takes 16 weeks to raise a turkey! (Something I never planned to know but I do know now because I have to wait for poultry to be raised in order to eat and enjoy, see below) I am not planning on raising my own turkey I have enough on my plate already. I am talking about a turkey that will be on a soy free diet. My allergy to soy doesn't allow me to have livestock that has been fed soy. So since the introduction of my hives I have had to cut all poultry out of my diet. With the exception of eggs because the good people at Chino Valley Ranchers heard the cries of soy allergy sufferers and found it in their hearts to raise some of their egg laying hens on a soy free diet. Hooray!!! That also means I pay a premium of $5.69 per dozen but that also means my eggs came from chickens who were eating what chickens are supposed to eat. Check out their website for more details www.soyfreeegg.com

Anyway, I have been on the hunt, a virtual hunt, to try and find a soy free gobble gobble for my Pilgrim tradition. After weeks of scouring the web I have faced defeat. I found many farms that do raise soy free poultry and many of them have turkeys available for Thanksgiving. The problem? I live in Southern California. Nobody that I contacted can ship to me. With the exception of one sweet man in Colorado who just put his website up for Cottonwood Creek Farms www.cottonwoodcreekfarms.com. He took his orders for Thanksgiving a while back apparently and I missed the cut off so all his turkeys are spoken for. So my heart is a little broken but not too broken. I can order chicken and next Thanksgiving I get a turkey! Yes thats right while all of you can waddle your behinds to the store to get your poultry fix I have to have my chicken frozen packed with dry ice and air mailed to me. Nice. This has got me thinking about what chicken dish I miss most since I haven't had chicken in 2 months. What to make? What to make? I just need to make sure I reserve at least one chicken I get to make some chicken broth.

Well my Butterball friends while you are slicing your bird this year, think of me, especially when you sit on your couch and unbutton the top of your pants because you ate too much and feel so uncomfortable. Oh wait I take that last part back I feel that way every night but not from eating too much I am already carrying around a turkey everyday...everyday. Is it January yet?

My soy free adventures continue...stay tuned

1 comment:

  1. Well Jackie we don't eat turkey in this house on Thanksgiving. I don't like the taste so what mama doesn't like mama don't make! :) This year I think we will have a seafood FEAST! Not that helps you any, since you can't eat shellfish. Just know that there is someone out there fighting the Turkey Free Fight with you! <3

    ReplyDelete